Sunday, March 1, 2009

Symphony

I was able to attend the Symphony here in Anchorage tonight with a great fella from out ward. We had a good time. I was noticing that in order to be a good conductor one must have really great hair to flick all around while conducting. We had good seats and when the conductor took a really deep breath I could hear it. It was great.


Walking to the show we saw some of the Fur Rondy fireworks. I am still trying to figure out what exactly Fur Rondy is. Some sort of celebration tied into the start of the Iditorod race. Those of you who don't know I absoluetly LOVE fireworks. So beautiful and sparkly so fun!! Anywho during the show I noticed that some of the musicians were so stoic and serious and others were very expressive in their movements and facial expressions. I liked to watch the ones who were expressive. It helped me feel what they were playing.

I also thought how life is like a symphony. Sometimes our parts are quiet and repetitive and other times at the conductors signal we are soloist and crescendo into all the volume that our instruments can play. Sometimes we are silent and wait on the conductor to be brought into the music again. I know I feel like now my part is small and quiet and sometimes it feels like I am on a 100 measure rest wanting to play the part that is divinely mine to play but I sit waiting on THE Conductor to get to the part in the symphony where I get to join in. I love the idea of us all being connected and how we all echo parts of the same music at different times. As the melody went from the violins, to the wind insturments, and then the horns it was like the generations of time: family traditions, gospel knowledge, love all being passed around and around. I know that if I stick with The Conductor, He has a big finish for all of us at the end. Where we all play and play together; it will be so grand! This is not very articulate probably cause it is late here but I wanted to write down those feelings while they were fresh.

It was the best day. I read ( the fire and the covenant) while the magical white flakes from Heaven fell and fell. After I slept in. Alaska so gorgeous, esp now that we are getting more sunshine!

1 comment:

MelissaKay said...

Here is a wonderful quote! Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin said it in his talk, "Concern for the One", at the April 2008 General Conference My Mom passed it out when she taught Relief Society one Sunday and so I keep this handout in my Scripture bag!

"The Lord did not put people on the Earth with a vibrant orchestra of personalities only to value the piccolos of the World. Every instrument is precious and adds to the complex beauty of the symphony. All of Heavenly Father’s children are different in some degree, yet each has his own beautiful sound that adds depth and richness to the whole."