Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Late to School

Somehow my alarm got shut off and I woke up at 7:35 am which is precisely when I am supposed to be in my classroom getting ready for the day. I quickly brushed my teeth put on some clothes and rushed out the door. I called the school while I was trying to wrangle some gloves on my hands to let them know I would be late. Then I called my lovely Teachers Assistant Ms. Mandi and asked her where she was knowing that promptness is not her forte she was still clear across town. I hurried and made it to school at 7:55. My students were definintely concerned as to my whereabouts.

Things went down hill from there. We implemented a new classroom discipline system 1-2-3 magic. While I love it the kids are still getting acclamated to it. Like with anything new they wanted to push the limits and see just how it would work and it worked as it should..except for with one student who thought that I needed to be grabbed by the collar, then hit, and almost bitten. We had the principal and two intervention coaches trying to get me freed from the grasp of an upset student. One student brought three bags of candy to class and would try to put some stashes away from later on this week. Another student had "sprung" his right wrist and could not do any written work. What a day! Only at my school...

On top of that I didn't feel well "volcano" in the tummy.....one of my first days here I went to lunch with a T.A. in the room next to mine (who is a crack up hoot) an older African America woman who makes me look small and still lives at least cosmetically in the 80's..girl she loves her some fake eyelashes and she walks with a cane due to an injury restraining a student here last year. Me and Leelah went to Subway after numerous efforts to stretch her seatbelt to buckle...at subway she was telling me how she was lactose intolerant but was gonna get her some pepper jack cheese on her samwich anyway and that later she might have a "volcano" in the tummy......and felt nasty all day due to the lack of a nice shower in the morning. Needless to say the students picked up on my vibe and it effected the entire day. I will do a double check tonight to the status of my cell phone alarm clock. =0)

6 comments:

Janae' said...

You poor thing!! I sure hope you get a great nice sleep tonight and then you have a really good weekend after your horrible day today..

Monica said...

Sounds like things are never boring in your neck of the woods....I'll keep you in my prayers, lol.

John, Katie, Kailyn said...

Hilarious! I'm not teaching this year, I didn't get a job. I may never get one! I had such a horrible student teaching experience. I still want to teach though! I'm just subbing right now. Different class every day.

Anonymous said...

Love the blogging, keep it coming! Take care!

Anonymous said...

Love the blogging, keep it coming! Take care!
Amanda Bledsoe

Victoria said...

I found your blog. I think that Alaska is a perfect fit. Here is our blog, if you ever want to check us out. We're in Clearfield, Ut.
www.meetthelloyds.blogspot.com