Tuesday, April 6, 2010

General Conference

WOW if families did not hear the message loud and clear I don't know what will help open their ears to the message. Raising your kids is a huge responsibility! Fathers step up and be the priesthood leaders you are supposed to be; the one homes need; the one children need if they are to emulate you; mothers let the brethren and encourage them in this priesthood role, it is theirs! Women -and Mothers focus on the most important things YOUR KIDS not the latest fashion or hobby or tan or being 120 lbs. Take the time to plan what you want your children to know and be,....then correlate it with what the Lord wants and needs them to understand and become. Then plan the activities and provide the opportunities for them to learn that skill i.e. to work hard..plant a garden; if you want them to learn to be financially reliant set up a chore chart with payment for work then have them pay taxes, tithing, and bills. So many talks on how the HOME is the best place to teach a child and that the church is a support to the family and should not supplant families. As a public school teacher I am amazed at some basic skills middle school kids don't have. We have to prepare them and start early..crib side!!! Place those tiny feet on the gospel Sod!!

I am so thankful for my parents efforts in teaching us to understand and to become the people we are. We have had our ups and downs like every family but overall I think we turned out fantastic! Quincy with his impressive gospel scholarship and Amy and their 5 boys soon to be 6 ( i am hoping girl) yay! Those boys will look up things in the encyclopedia if they have a question. They are amazing and I love them. They love the Lord. When I was home last I got to hear Jacob say a prayer and it was so precious! Jared and Ann Marie and their commitment to the Lord shows their kiddos how to do the same; even through hard times of pain and sorrow. Emily Rae is so loving and sweet a natural nurturer, the boys so funny and cute! They are being taught early. I have such wonderful examples of how to mother. Justin has shown courage, perseverance, and determination that I don't know if I have. Amanda supports her family in many way. Their Kade is smart as a whip and Keely is so adorable. Spencer and his righteous desires to create a family, Janeen and her fearless self with a firm testimony, Eldon,a Lion of the Lord, he is going to be an impressive missionary having gone through the McKinney Training Center; the MTC will not be a place new doctrines are revealed to him (sis becks talk mothers who know).

My fantastic family and many others ,Elder Perry said, is in thanks to Mothers who are with their children (or should be) teaching them, loving them, and nurturing them. Of course I think my momma is pretty spectacular. She has taught us so much with not only her words but her example, and activities she has invited us to participate in with her( reading the scriptures, memorzing scriptures, fhe, cooking, gardening, sewing, laughing, reading, snuggling, working, forgiving to name a few). I love to see these good traits and activities passed to my nephews and nieces! I love to see them grow in the gospel. I was grateful for all the Aunt references in conference. I love my role as Aunt and as a Women to be nurturing and kind to be endowed with those tender feelings. I have a deep love for small children...I have much to look forward to!!!! I can't wait!

I know I have many flaws and that our family does too; but I also know in whom we rely and that He will help us to continue to become the family he wants us to become!

1 comment:

Janae' said...

Thank you for that amazing summary of conference Katie!