Monday, August 31, 2009

great weekend - weird monday

So this weekend was spent helping Kay my colleague move into her first Alaskan house. I am staying with her until my apartment is ready for me. She is an amazing momma; so patient. They have two adorable girls 8 and 2 the youngest one calls popcorn cockcorn. I about fell out laughing the first time I heard her say that. I took two breaks from the move to help. 1 for a baptism and another one for church.

The Spirit is always so powerful at baptisms. I was asked to speak and I spoke on Christ's love for us. I used my favorite scripture in Isaiah. Can a mother forget her sucking child? ..She may forget but I will not forget thee I have engraven thee upon the palms of my hands. I love the imagery in that verse. His love for me motivates me to do and become a better person. I am so happy for Mary and her decision to follow Christ's footsteps to be baptized so she can "enter the kingdom of God." John 3: 5

Sunday we got a new Bishop. (the priesthood leadership of our congregation they usually serve 5 years. Not one cents pay) Our old Bishop and his wife were so kind and loving to all of us. You could just tell that he loved you by the way he shook your hand and looked into your eyes. So kind. I will miss Bishop Kent Jackson. Normally the Bishop is still in your congregation but in a singles ward not so much plus our Bishop is moving to Idaho.

Our new Bishop was a couselor to our old one and he was a Stake President here before. He has a totally different leadership style and I am excited to learn from this gospel scholar. The change is always bitter sweet..this one was no different.

Monday my homeroom is 2 students. 1 was absent for home room and then I have them for 2 period and the other one decided to go truant..leave school grounds. So I had an extra prep period. I also have them for a 30 min social emotional class and they were not there either. My 4th period class did not feel like working so they spent the class period with their heads down. My 3rd period class was one student. Who know's what 5th period will bring. 1st period was normal 7 students. Harriet Tubman and Underground Railroad was the lesson.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Katie, I'm so glad you're updating more! I love hearing the details about how things are going. Maybe you'll inspire me to update more, too. Thank-you so much for the postcard! It's always exciting to get something in the mail from a real person! I'll have to return the favor :) I hope things are going well for you!

Valerie said...

P.S. What would your address be now??