Thursday, August 13, 2009

New School Year

So I thought before I start jabberin about how freakin excited I am for this new school year..I wanted to List Poem last years adventures

08 School Year
* Moose almost walking in the automatic doors
* Black bear in the playground
*asking where is the bathroom, my class room, um..the library
*no math curriculum 'til Christmas
*getting stabbed with a pencil, bit, hit by my own podium-- yes I am back for year two
*getting called Fat A## B*&^$ so often I got nicknamed FAB-ulous
* having my desk completely swiped clean by a student
* getting sweet notes from my students
*getting a letter at school from Gma and pa Sherwood--made my week--I wrote them first
* fighting with Ms. E
*Coach D health lessons oh my! adolescent boys
* calling a student my sister's name in exasperation
*field trip good times!
*field day
* feeling like a success because of my student's growth
*getting a mentor
* the sunshine coming out again and having class outside to soak it ALL up!
*daily hugs from my toddler like Fetal Alcohol Student so dang cute!!
*feeling lonely the last day after the kids were gone and wondering if it always feel like that
*seeing the excited on the face of a student when we met on the coastal trail

So I am really excited for school to start and meet the 8th graders. Social Studies is going to be so much better than Elementary. All the content areas and trying to intermingling all the subjects was quite a chore. God bless elementary school teachers!!!!!!!!!!!!

My classroom is coming together and I have found some cool techno websites..like voicethread and loc.gov; flippin sweet the library of Congress!! Gonna be amazing! Someone gave me some free demo Putaymo CD's the world music ones. Got some cool stuff from my summer travels to make a bulletin board out of . I have an entire wall that is magnetized and one entire wall of whiteboard and a bathroom in my class. A teacher gave me a mini fridge to use for the year. Now I need a couch in there to nap on in between school and my busy social evenings. Getting up at 5 am to be at the Church at 5:50 is gonna be an adjustment.

I am also going to be teaching early morning seminary. (LDS youth do 4 years of "seminary" 9-12th grade we rotate old testament, new testament, book of Mormon, and doctrine and covenants)This year is the Book of Mormon. I still have most of the scripture mastery scriptures memorized. I hope that all will go well there too! I have the sophomores. I love the Book of Mormon and how it clarifies so much of the Bible. It truly is another Testament of Christ..that He lived, and Lives now and has the power to heal us.

Just as a random thought for guys who clearly need some help with that whole thinking thing-- ..guys should always tell close "friends" they are getting married over the phone or some other direct method. Another tid bit for the fella's if you are dating multiple girls that is great but don't let them find out on Facebook you have committed to one of them.

1 comment:

The Johnsons said...

I love you Katie... you are amazing!