Monday, October 5, 2009

Seminary and the Smashing

So my seminary kids have not been very participatory and just lacking a general respect for the subject matter. As I watched conference and took a nap an idea entered my mind and I knew it was from the Lord. I followed the idea and was amazed at the immediate response in some of my students.

The idea was to take a picture of Christ and smash the glass and then tear up the picture and tell them that I loved them and the Savior loved them but we each have to bring a piece to seminary and that I can only bring my piece.

I held up the picture and asked who is this. What does He expect from us. I told them after conference I knew I had to be a better teacher because He expects me too and that they are so important to the Lord and His gospel spreading. I told them that I would strive to be a better teacher. I said when they come and listen to music through the lesson or put on our makeup we smash up the Savior and tell Him we don't care or it is not important but; I testified that, He is. Then I took out the picture of Christ and said I can only bring my piece and torn off a corner then I went to each student and tore off a piece and said I need you ____(Katie) to bring your piece and handed it to them, I went around the room until they all had a small piece of the Savior. Two girls were crying and the boys seemed at least uncomfortable so I hope that was the Holy Ghost inviting them to change.

One girl after sitting for a few minutes and listening to a few quotes from conference got up and got the scriptures for the boys and her scriptures and even marked them . One of the boys entire attitude was completely changed. The other two participated more than usual. I hope that they remember what they felt and the change is permanent. Truth makes us change! _-Paker

We covered 2 nephi 10 about how America is a promised, choice, consecrated, land of liberty and then had them share their feelings about America and our freedoms. I was impressed with most of their comments. These are military kids and they have been a few places. One kid's mom came from Jamacia 26 years ago and now he is able to get an education. It was a moving day in seminary for all of us.

2 comments:

soybeanlover said...

AWESOME lesson! It makes me remember some of my favorite seminary lessons. I remember being so surprised at 6:15 in the morning when my teacher ripped his shirt off(buttons flying across the room) as he taught us about captain Moroni. He had another shirt on under it, but it did make for quite the visual experience.

Good luck with all of your kids!

Larissa said...

Powerful object lesson. I'm sure it will stick with them for the rest of their lives. If I'm ever a seminary teacher, I'll be sure to keep this one tucked away in my memory. You're amazing!