Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Thanksgiving with the Canadians



So my 7th grade world geography students were studying Canada right when it was Canada's Thanksgiving. Since they are in a colder region they celebrate early because their growing season is shorter than ours. It was a great excuse to do a Thanksgiving type meal. I did substitute a rotisserie chicken for a turkey but we had mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, cookies, and of course pumpkin pie with whipped cream and had Canada Dry ginger ale and juice for our sparkling punch. The boys all helped design and set the table. They mashed the potatoes I cooked in the microwave, opened the cans of green beans, and rolled out the cookies into balls...never ask 7th grade boys to make balls... never good conversation after that. All in all it was excellent. They all stayed out of trouble today so they could attend and I had them for almost an hour and a half and kept them all...success is MINE!

I think the bottom picture is obscure enough of my students face to post. We played put the hat on the Turkey. Yippee. As soon as I let him go he fell down I felt bad =0( no permanent damage done.

PS During all the feasting our school secretary announced there is a moose on the playground area please keep all students inside until it is gone. Not an announcement you hear too often. of course we all opened our doors to take a peek. Young moose no rack ,yet.

4 comments:

The Johnsons said...

That is awesome!

Mark and Emily said...

Good for you! That looked like fun. Sorry I didn't get back to you on what to serve, but it's basically the exact same foods as American Thanksgiving.

The Young's said...

You sound like such a great teachers! I wish I had a teacher like you. You make school fun! :) :) :) But then again, you were such a fun sister missionary! :)

Kara Kaufman said...

You sound like a teacher I would have LOVED to have - so fun!! Liam is on the verge of emerging but not yet. I loved that there was announcement to keep the kids inside b/c of a moose. hahaha!