Sunday, April 5, 2009

Break Up

So not that I have been dating anyone to break up with ...well kind of we've been talking weekly for several hours and doing things... but that is a whole other blog...I'll just say we are for sure just friends and I am at peace about that. Still yearning and longing to be a wife and momma though.

"Break Up" is what Alaskans refer to as Spring. When the sun starts coming out more and everything beings to melt and the ice begins to break up. Parking lots are turned into swimming pools..and where there used to be one large massive chunk of ice now there are huge chuncks of ice missing. Driving in driveways and parking lots like this is a backroad experience. The two outside lanes of traffice are always wet and full of water...I have seen more than one predestrian get completely drenched from such water in the lanes and more than one car hydroplane through a huge puddle. The inside and turning lanes are dry as can be but look out, those outside lanes are deadly. I saw some guys flame tourching a drain to melt it so the water could have somewhere safe to go. Nice job. Hi what do you do? Oh I torch drains.

Of course this also means that windshield washer fluid is a must because of the spray from the wet lanes. My driver side sprayer works great the passenger sprayer shoots a huge stream not so much sparying it over the passenger side... it is so less effective but better than nothing. If you are out of fluid you should NOT drive; because after a few minutes your windshield is impossible to see out of. --my car has bigger problems than this though. I took a drive down the Turnagain arm last Saturday (FYI we had some ash fall from Mt. Redoubt on Saturday but not while I was driving. It was like dirt only finer and people said it smelled like sulpher) On the way home it was acting funny... like it was not getting gas therefore the shifting was funky. I was afraid I would not make it home but, I did. I have bummed rides this week from my roomate and YSA friends esp. Laney.

Laney moved to Seattle for a few month now she is back. She directed our Institute choir last semester. She is so funny. I am glad she is back we have hit it off nicely. She is living with her sister who has two daughters and it has been so great to be around little ones! She has been carting me around. Thanks Laney baney! Oh today we watched conference at her brother Greg's house -he is a mechanic and is going to look at my car since Mark never did punk- Anyway her brother and sis in law have 3 boys and a one year old girl. I got to rock the baby to sleep; it was so soothing! Seriously that was probably the best thing about conference weekend.. I can't wait!!

Back to the Break Up stuff.........................

The melting and freezing snow on the side of the road is really funny looking it is dirty brown/black and jagged due to the melting and refreezing at night. Nightmare material folks this stuff looks nasty and I hear it is a smelly time of year as all the dog pooh turns to dog pooh mud.

It is so gorgeous here! The the sky here is almost always a perfect shade of "sky blue." I will miss it here.

No comments: