Friday, May 1, 2009

May -my birth month and Bluegrass month

I was listening to our great Borealis Bluegrass station and heard that May is Bluegrass month. Growing up music was a big part of our lives..not in the sense that we all played but watching our old family videos there was ALWAYS music playing in our house. My dad plays the guitar and some of my favorite memories involve him behind a guitar at a campfire somewhere. I was just thinking how much I really enjoy bluegrass music mostly because I was introduced to it as a young kid through two artist/bands 1) Ricky Skaags and 2) New Grass Revival- which broke up in the early 90's into-- Sam Bush, John Cowan, Bella Fleck..they have all gone on and had great solo careers. Since then I have enjoyed listening to a host of other pickers.

Anyway in response to bluegrass month borders books has teamed up with Rounder Records and is sending a free cd out with an order from any Rounder Record artist..Allison Kraus and Steve Martin are on that label. FYI If you have not heard her and Robert Plant together on Raising Sand it is worth a listen...I think.

May 1st has always been a fun day growing up thinking about only a week 'til my birthday. I love birthdays. They are so much fun. Being with people who love and care about you and think you are just great. I think I want to go camping on the river for my birthday. Nothing better than good friends spending some time in the great outdoors...of ALASKA none the less. Days like the last three remind me 1 why i moved here and 2 why i am staying for another year. Picture perfect weather!

No comments: